Villa Gregoriana Park
Villa Gregoriana is a huge wild garden, lying on the slopes of the acropolis of Tivoli. The park is dominated by two roman temples, dedicated to Sybil and Tiburno, the founderS of the city. Villa Gregoriana was organized in 1835 by the Pope Gregory XVI after a terrible flood. He decided to deviate the Aniene river, in order to preserve the town of Tivoli. The project saw two tunnels being dug through Catillo Mountain, creating the so called grande cascata (big waterfall).
The park has been appreciated since 17th century by artists and poets, because of his archaeological ruins, extraordinary natural garden, gorges and cascades. It is a model of integration between art and nature.
Since 2005 thanks to the FAI restoring program, the Villa has been opened again to the public.